[openbeos] Re: waif child found!

  • From: "Joseph Prostko" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:38:09 -0500

> I had it on one of my Dano machines as well - what helped for me was
> disabling the generation of the version resource for AboutHaiku. IOW
> commenting out the "AddFileDataResource" line in src/apps/abouthaiku/
> Jamfile worked for me.
>
> Bye,
>    Axel.

Alright, I had another idea and decided to try it out.  I noticed that
MAXJOBS is defined in jam.h as 64.  I changed it to 128, hoping that the
"waif child found!" error in execunix.c wouldn't occur (it happens when 'i'
in a for loop matched the value of MAXJOBS).

Well, after changing 64 to 128 and recompiling jam, it worked.  I actually
used the jam0 file in the compilation of Haiku initially, since the make of
jam failed due to some lines with -lnet.  Since then, I have recompiled jam
properly (or not?), changing all references to -lnet in the Makefile and
Jamfile in the buildtools/jam dir to -lbind -lsocket so it would build in
Zeta.  I take it that jam is meant to be built on R5 though, so maybe that
wasn't the right thing to do.

In any case, when I run "jam haiku-image" now, it creates the image.  Right
after the "Unmounting..." line, I do get the "waif child found!" line, but
by then the haiku.image file is built.  I don't know if choosing a MAXJOBS
value higher than 128 would make the waif child stuff go away or not.  In
any case it seems that it doesn't matter when it occurs at the end.

Next I will try a straight "jam", along with adding --include-gpl-addons to
make sure that keeps things busy.  If I get a waif child before the end,
I'll know that simply changing a 64 to a 128 doesn't cut it.  I have a
feeling it will work fine though.

Axel, do you think changing the 64 to 128 is a valid solution, or does it
have repercussions that I'm not aware of?  I admit I'm no programmer, so
sometimes my ignorance can result in false optimism.

- joe