[haiku] Re: userlandfs hangs kernel

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:41:16 +0200

On 2010-04-16 at 18:50:56 [+0200], Lucian Adrian Grijincu
<lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been trying to get userlandfs loaded all day and haven't been
> able to do it.
>
> I'm using the latest svn for both buildtools (r36119) and haiku (r36329):
>
> I configured buildtools to use gcc4 and I have this in my UserBuildConfig:
>
> ----------
> HAIKU_BUILD_FEATURE_SSL = 1 ;
>
> DefineBuildProfile vmware : vmware-image ;
>
> switch $(HAIKU_BUILD_PROFILE) {
>         case "vmware" : {
>                 HAIKU_IMAGE_SIZE = 400 ;
>                 HAIKU_DONT_CLEAR_IMAGE = 1 ;
>                 AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages Development Pe UserlandFS Git
>                 ;
>         }
> }
> ----------
>
> I run the build with:
>    jam -q @vmware

Looks OK.

> The build process produces a vmdk which I'm using in VirtualBox. The
> boot process breaks at the final stage (the red rocket).

That would be after the Bootscript has been started, i.e. way after the boot
volume has been mounted. I don't see how userlandfs would have any influence
at that point.

> Removing UserlandFS from the AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages list in
> UserBuildConfig produces a working Haiku (the boot process doesn't
> stop at the red rocket).

I just tested again and can't reproduce any boot problems with userlandfs in
qemu and on real hardware (r36330, gcc2 and gcc4 builds). Haiku has a bit of
a history not working that well under VirtualBox. Either that's because
VirtualBox doesn't do the emulation correctly or Haiku has trouble with the
hardware VirtualBox emulates.

Anyway, as a possible work-around you could try to move userlandfs out of
src/system/add-ons/kernel/file_systems and move (or symlink) it back after
mounting. Run "jam @vmware mount" to get into the bfs_shell, a simple shell
that allows playing with the file system in the image. A bunch of commands
that work similar to their UNIX namesakes (cd, ls, cp, mv, rm) are available.

CU, Ingo