[haiku] Re: Haiku kernel debugger in VirtualBox

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:41:50 +0200

On 2010-04-16 at 19:36:33 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 17:02, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
> <lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This article indicates F12 as the magic key:
> >  http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/welcome_to_kernel_debugging_land
> >
> > The comments update and say to use Alt+SysRq+d (maybe the article
> > should be updated too?).
> >
> Yes, sometime before the R1 Alpha 1 release, the key combo was switched.
> Thanks for the heads up. It's been updated.

I have never used VirtualBox, but at least in qemu the key combo doesn't
work, since the emulator seems to swallow it (one has to switch to the qemu
monitor and enter "sendkey alt-sysrq-d"). Another reason for the combo not
working could be that Haiku froze hard (e.g. processor shutdown or infinite
loop with interrupts disabled).

> If Haiku isn't booting to the desktop, you can enable boot-time
> on-screen debugging:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/ReportingBugs#OnScreenDebugOutput
>
> The key to enter it has been changed a few times. Normally I quickly
> alternate between the Shift and Space keys before the boot logo
> appears.

(Left) Shift is the key to enter the boot loader. The on-screen output is
not particularly helpful, if the boot process runs that far. In emulators
the simplest thing is to enable a serial port and capture the boot debug
output that is always sent to it.

CU, Ingo