[openbeos] Re: string.h

  • From: Isaac Yonemoto <ityonemo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Erik Reid <reide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:13:56 -0600 (CST)

> At least mark off where it should be, if you don't put it in.  Make it fairly
> easy for someone to do later.  I think that ease of portability would be
> really
> nice, because it might be attractive to do sgi or sun support, and those would
> require both byte order and word size changes.
>
> (I actually don't know how interested other people are in sun/sgi support,
> anyone wanna speak up?)

Apparently NewOS is slated to function on the indy machines in the
not-so-distant future.  (imagine that -- the "poor man's sgi" running on
real sgi).  Also, with 64-bit Intel chips (well those are floundering) and
64-bit AMD x86 chips on the horizon, keeping higher-word-size capability
available might not be such a bad idea, especially since Sledgehammer is
supposed to eventually become "everyman's 64bit".  The G5 may also be
64bit.

Isaac