[openbeos] Re: string.h

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:35:59 -0500

>Hello All,
>
>I am doing the posix library for openbeos.
>I am almost finished the memory.h, string.h
>list (tip of the iceburg).
>
>There are some PPC functions in the BEOS
>headers that I need to be enlightened about.
>
>memcpy_c2nc
>memcpy_nc2c
>memcpy_nc2nc
>etc...
>What is the description of the function for these?

As someone pointed out, I think that these are cached vs non-cached.
I would ignore them.

>Also, I am concerned regarding byte order for portability of the OS to other
>systems. For strings it's not so bad because everything is
>done in char.

Be made a series of Macros for this...

>I am wondering if we want wide_char
>functions.

I think that Posix requires them.

>I also need a good tome on unicode and tokens
>for various machine types.

Can't help.

>Should I put code in to handle different machine-word bit lengths or is that
>important at this time?

How big of a deal is it? I (personally) am not super worried about it.
There are no shipping 64 bit systems that we plan to run on for R1.