[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V2 #2

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:28:44 +0100 (MET)

> > Not entirely true, as there was already talk (by GCC experts) about
> > recompiling everything with GCC, and creating a binary loader that
> > could handle the translation from GCC 2.x to GCC 3.x ABI :)
>
> Just out of curiousity, how difficult would it be to write a short
> app
> that pulls in an ELF file, reads the export/import tables, and
> translates them GCC 2 to GCC 3, then writes the corresponding ELF
> with
> the new ABI=3D3F Such a utility would be a lot more flexible than
> modifying
> the loader.

I haven't looked into this yet, but the loader should definitely know
how to use that utility, then.
Just consider installing new software which doesn't work at all,
because it has been compiled with gcc 2.
But to have this tool would be great and is a good idea to solve this
problem.

Adios...
   Axel.