[openbeos] Re: new kernel

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:19:44 -0500

>I know that people are excited about using the newos kernel, and I am,
>too, but it's not done. Hurd is a microkernel that's done. Has anyone
>thought about using this? If not, why not. This would get obos out the
>door much faster.

Done is very relative. NewOS does most of what a kernel needs to do, already.
It has VM, processes, threads, etc. It's biggest issue, now, is drivers. Which
are a problem for everyone other than Windows and Linux. That is where the
Kernel Team is focused.

And, honestly, if we had a completely finished, tuned, perfect kernel, it
wouldn't get OBOS out the door necessarily any faster. We don't know what the
limiting factor is. It could be App_kit, MIDI or is_computer_on_fire, for all
we know, at this point. I think that we can all make some educated guesses
about what will *not* be the issues (heap glory on Networking and BFS). But I
think that we are still way too far from the end to guess who will be the last
horse through the gate.

>Just a suggestion. Flame-suit on--I need it for any suggestion. Note that
>this is just a thought, and not meant to be insulting to anyone in any
>way.

Not a bad suggestion. If it weren't for NewOS, I might have considered Hurd.
Although its GPL status would have turned me away pretty quickly. Please,
folks, no flames.

OBOS development is different than most OS development in that we have a very
stable platform to work on AND we can all develop in parallel since the
interfaces between pieces are pretty well defined.