[openbeos] Re: new kernel

  • From: "Andrew Edward McCall" <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:34:42 GMT

> I know that people are excited about using the newos kernel, and I
> am,
> too, but it's not done. Hurd is a microkernel that's done. Has anyone
> thought about using this? If not, why not. This would get obos out
> the
> door much faster.

We have chosen to build our OpenBeOS kernel of of a future fork of the
NewOS kernel because it has been designed and implemented in a very
similar way to the original BeOS one. I have even heard its creator
complaining because its too BeOS-like! Something that he eventually
wants to move away from (which is when we will fork no doubt).

So for us, we are getting a good brand-spanking new kernel that is as
close as we are going to get to the one we are all running now.

There are many other kernels that we could use by using kernel wrappers
et. al., but none of them comes close to the original BeOS one.

> Just a suggestion. Flame-suit on--I need it for any suggestion. Note
> that
> this is just a thought, and not meant to be insulting to anyone in
> any
> way.

No problem at all! If we never asked questions we would all be really
dumb :)

Thanks

Andrew Edward McCall
OpenBeOS Preferences & Applications Team Leader
mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--
OpenBeOS - Join The Revolution Now!
http://www.openbeos.org/