[openbeos] Re: importing hey in Haiku repository

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:20:21 +0200

On 2006-06-07 at 12:08:23 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Jérôme DUVAL <korli@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> > >I am all for it. If we find a better name for that application (or
> > > at
> > >least a super duper acronym ;-)), I would like it even better :-)
> > You mean adding an alias ? Changing the name of a bin tool isn't a
> > great
> > idea IMO.
>
> Even though you're generally right, I don't think it matters here,
> since that tool is not a standard bin tool - you cannot assume it's
> there and just use it from a script or something.
> But I can live with "hey", too (but I'd prefer something more
> descriptive like "scriptor").

Hey is a great idea but needs work on it to make it really usable, ie. more
introspection and better support from applications. I spent many an hour
trying to get it to remote control applications only to be forced to give
up because the necessary functionality was not exposed. Cue for Tic to talk
about the associated problems.

For those who don't know anything about hey I can point to the my brief
introduction
http://www.begeistert.org/scripting/hey.html
The supplied example only works because Sander Stoks extending Becasso for
it.

Sander is the maintainer but hasn't been active for the last couple of
years.

Charlie