[openbeos] Re: importing hey in Haiku repository

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:12:32 +0200

On 2006-06-07 at 14:57:53 [+0200], Malthus <malthi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My frustration comes from trying to script the Haiku Media Prefs, to
> mute and unmute the AC97 Aux channel, which I use with a old Packard
> Bell FM tuner card.
> It works, but only if the AC97 mixer tab is already active, and
> therefore exposed to hey.
>
> I know this is not really hey's problem and all a bit off-topic, but is
> there any way to launch the Media Prefs so that it opens to the AC97
> mixer by default?

Actually this is more on topic that Haiku's new killer app - a calculator!
;-)

hey's syntax is a problem - scripting applications from the shell is a
nightmare. But the real problem is the lack of handles and hooks in
applications in order to be able to get them to do things. I think real
programmers call hey directly from within C++ programs which makes a lot of
difference. Done properly hey provides a lovely bridge for remote control
of applications without the need for a new language and all the associated
pitfalls.

Cue examples (but not from this non-programmer) of how to use hey from
within one application to talk to another and how to make an application
hey-friendly.

Charlie