[openbeos] Re: hello world...

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:02:01 -0500 EST

Marius Soutier wrote on Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:13:35 +0100:
> I today downloaded the BeBook, maybe I can learn from it. Please tell me
> where I can start.

Besides the getting started programming stuff in
http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/faq.php you can find a lot of material in the
old developer's library somewhere inside
http://www.beatjapan.org/mirror/www.be.com/ and in the Be newsletters that it
refers to.  You can also get the newsletters from
http://www.bebits.com/app/3140 as well as lots of other BeOS stuff (it's the
main download site).

So, read the BeBook http://bang.dhs.org/be/bebook.html and in particular the
chapters explaining the high level view of each part of the OS.  Then look at
the newsletters, and search for some examples, the "Doodle" program is a good
example of a complete application (drawing, menus, printing, etc).  Try
compiling it and investigate how it works.  The source code isn't in the
newsletter or on the mirror so do a Google search for "BeOS Doodle" and you'll
find sites like http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/beos/samples/intro/ which
have it.

- Alex