[openbeos] Re: hello world...

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:51:04 -0800

On Sunday, Jan 19, 2003, at 10:42 America/Los_Angeles, Marius Soutier wrote:

Hi!

As our illustrious project leader once told me: "hardware.frizbe.net is
your friend" ... :-)

Go to http://hardware.frizbe.net/info.php?product=440&category=28&sub=24

There is written:

"I have a bad experience with this SoundCard. Althought it is listed on the hardware compatible list, there are some "mutant" PCI 128 "mute" models with different chipset ID that BeOS drivers do not know. This way some cards do not work with R4.5.2 or R5.0.3 and you have to wait for R5.5 release, wich have an update driver. Thanks to CreativeLabs."

So I have a bad card which is not supported. Damn.

Or you could just wait for R5.5! ;-)

FWIW: As a musician a good sound card with decent MIDI capability is important to me, I can appreciate your dilemma. I don't know what kind of budget you're on but an SB PCI 512 is super cheap (less than $50 U.S.). Head on over to http://www.pricewatch.com and enter "sound blaster 512" in the search field. (AFAIK an SB PCI 512 is just a re-badged "SB Live!").

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott