[openbeos] Re: gcc 3.x ABI

  • From: "Thierry Delhaise" <delhaise.t@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:00:55 GMT

> > Since the gcc 3.X change its ABI, does it means gcc 3.0 will not be
> > usable under BeOS R5.
>
> No. It will work fine if it's ported.
>
> You won't be able to link to c++ code compiled w/ old gcc, however.
Yes, now I know why. This is mainly about the name mangling stuff ! But
I heard something about how the vtable is handle too.
In the past, it was very difficult to use some object file caming from
an another compiler and try to link them your gcc's one. So, the new
stuff made in 3.0 and 3.2 is normally to handle this problem. They say
" that now they are mostly compatible with all other mangling scheme
from other compilers" and with the vtable management. Are you right
with this ?

> I didn't think that the beos kernel was compiled w/ gcc at all and
> even if
> it was, you can run things w/ gcc-3.2 on a kernel compiled w/ and
> earlier
> version. I'm doing it right now.

Could you explain what's youre test here, and how you make this ?