[openbeos] Re: being the best or being mediocre

  • From: Clay Vincent Schentrup <cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 23:01:32 -0500

>other then the multi user debate how is OBeOS trying to be like any thing
>other then R5? i'm not on any delevlopment team im on the Createive team,
>and currently im working on icons, and personaly i'm trying to create a set
>that is usable but not a copy of other things. i just dont see how were
>writing to the norm?
     I think the idea of a BeOS-based theme is good, but I agree with you that
OBOS's GUI should be sort of a next step (no pun intended).  When R5 came out,
the folder icons looked a little more contemporary.  I actually just made my
folders look like OSX, because they are more colorful and modern looking; not
so paper-like (although I dislike a lot of the Mac icons).  But the whole
yellow tab thing is right-on.
     Some would argue that GUI is not all that important, but for a lot of
people the look and feel of their environment makes a difference.  BeOS seemed
to caputure a lof of the vibrance and colorfulness of Macintosh, without going
overboard on silly animations, and also still retaining a more concrete
analytic feel to a lot of things.  It truly has captured the best elements of
all previous OS's.
     Long story short, I think you are wise to give OBOS it's own look and
feel, and make original icons that carry on the general BeOS concept and maybe
make it even a bit more modern and catchy.  And if people don't like it, they
can always change it with themes anyway.  :)  Good luck.  Make it perty.

Clay