[openbeos] Re: being the best or being mediocre

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:59:10 -0400 (EDT)

> other then the multi user debate how is OBeOS trying to be like any thing
> other then R5? i'm not on any delevlopment team im on the Createive team,

I don't think I said that they were. In fact in one of my posts I
acknowledged that R1 obos == R5 beos, please recheck all the threads to
confirm.

I meant to say that the _attitude_ seemed to be 'writing to the norm'
which is meaningless to me, but rather aiming low b/c other OSes they were
used to rather than aiming high, which would be different.

I liked beos b/c it seemed to take the best ideas from all OSes, and at
the same time it wasn't afraid to improve things even if it would break
compatability w/ the older OSes.

This discussion is getting too abstract for my taste. Please use direct
quotes from me in context in the future. I can't talk about things that
people have paraphrased from me especially when they get me wrong.

I meant to liberate and uplift people w/ a pep talk not to bring them down
or to stir up more pointless debate about abstractions. I think people
_are_ smarter then we'd like to think. I think that overall (at least in
the US) the culture is toward the stupid. Not b/c people are stupid, but
b/c it's easier to rule and bilk people who are dumbed down. It's not
accident that being dumb is cool. I find comments like, "so easy to use",
to be highly insulting and patronizing, not just to me, but to everyone.

I guess I'm lucky, b/c where I work (uni) people want to learn. People
_remember_ things.

> and currently im working on icons, and personaly i'm trying to create a set
> that is usable but not a copy of other things. i just dont see how were
> writing to the norm?

I wasn't talking about code that was completed. I'm highly impressed w/
what was done. If you thought that I was criticizing the actual coders in
any way, I'm very, very sorry. Anyone who follows my posts at all should
realize I have nothing but praise for those who code. I'm talking about
naysayers. Those who think that too many options are bad b/c they will
confuse people. Those who flamed me for suggesting that I would port some
things, mostly.

I never asked for a feature, nor begged for anything. I wanted to help,
actually, though my coding sucks.

I'm still trying to figure out what "writing to the norm" means. It seems
like there is a norm when talking about how an OS should behave, and first
of all, I'd like to know where this norm is so I can read the rfc on it.
Who put this out? Where's there authority? Next I take exception to the
word norm b/c the opposite, which seems to be what I'm talking about is
the abnorm. I don't see anything abnorm about trying to be the best.

Anyway, I'm sure you are personally trying to do the best you can do,
rather than doing things the way, "everyone else does", b/c if you did,
you wouldn't be making icons at all as Joe Sixpack doesn't make icons at
all. So "writing to the norm" would be not having icons.

Fred