[haiku] Re: Wanted to write to my floppy drive

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:41:21 +0200

Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Be Inc was all about dumping legacy compatibility not
> just because it was cool and high tech sounding but
> also because it meant that they wouldn't have to deal
> with drivers and the burden on customer support.

Generally speaking, the decisions Be had to make don't hold
much value to Haiku today, and the arguments filtered through
market communication to sell these decisions are irrelevant now.
Be Inc. was on the clock, burning through venture capital fast.

We're free to do whatever, within our means and motivation.

I'm looking forward to Haiku deviating from BeOS, breaking the
old rules. We must allow ourselves to "think outside the BeBox".
It's just evolution and business as usual.

What matters, from a Haiku pov, is:
* risk -- Does it affect Haiku in any bad way?
* manpower -- Do we have a developer who wants to do it?
* amount of work-- How easy is to add support?
* benefit/cost -- Is it worth the effort?

I don't know much about floppies these days, but if accessing
them requires dropping the system to realmode (16-bit) to access
the BIOS interface, I think that can have an adverse effect on the
system as a whole, but likely only while using the floppy device.

(I guess the reason our VESA driver does not suck is due to it not
having to drop to realmode except for mode setting; the frame buffer
being accessible from protected mode. Is that correct?)

/Jonas