[haiku] Re: Wanted to write to my floppy drive

  • From: Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:47:07 -0700

On Jul 12, 2011 12:26 AM, "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 11, 2011 7:09 PM, "Sean Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am having a difficult time dealing with the idea of a floppy disk on
any
> >> computer in 2011, in 1999 or 2003 sure.With floppy usb sticks and usb
1.1
> >> and 2.0 thumb drives being avialable for $3-5 pretty much everywhere,
is
> >> this even a reasonable request ?
> >
> > It is clearly not reasonable. We should also remove support for anything
but
> > processers newer than Intel's Core 2, no? As well as CD-ROM drives.
Those
> > will be gone in twenty years, let's get ahead of the curve!
> >
> > There is nearly always value in legacy support.
> >>
> >> Peace out
> >> Sean
> >>

> Haiku will get bogged down if it tries to go the legacy route. There's
> just so much new stuff that you'd want to support, let alone the old.

But Haiku already has a floppy driver. Does that mean we are bogged down
with legacy support?

As well, drivers for hardware are only loaded/active if that hardware is
present.

> Be Inc was all about dumping legacy compatibility not just because it
> was cool and high tech sounding but also because it meant that they
> wouldn't have to deal with drivers and the burden on customer support.
> Even in those days, I don't think they really cared so much about
> floppy drives. They were much harder to use in BeOS than on other
> OS's.

What? You mounted a floppy like any other volume.. which at the time was
better than Linux offered, wherein you typed out a mount command, but not as
good as Mac OS, where the drive just appeared on your desktop.

How was it difficult? And at that, more difficult than the other existing
options?

-- Dustin L. Howett