[openbeos] WalterCon 2008 proposal (was: Ohio LinuxFest Oct 11, 2008)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:58:49 -0700

Hi Scott,

I am glad that you bring this up. I needed this little push to bring my WC08 procrastination syndrome to an end. :)

scott mc wrote:
The Ohio LinuxFest might be a good place to show off Haiku.  Anyone
from the midwest USA (or elsewhere) interested in attending and/or
presenting?  Looks like it's the largest such event in the midwest.
Just thought I'd throw this out there as it appears they are already
accepting papers.
http://www.ohiolinux.org/

The Ohio LinuxFest (OLF) has been in my radar for many months now. The reason is that I have been looking for an open source event/conference that we could piggyback WalterCon 2008 (WC08) to, and this may be the one that fits the purpose.

The idea would be to have a booth and possibly even a Haiku-related talk and/or BoF at OLF, and hold WC08 as a one day or two day event (one day before and/or after OLF). There are several advantages to this approach, such as: attendees get a better return for their investment (like killing two birds with one stone), we may be able to capture some of the OLF audience into WC08 (we could, for example, hold a targeted "Haiku Open House" the day after OLF); as OLF exhibitor/attendees, we can use the discounted hotel rates.

The details of WC08 are still TBD, but I have already had discussions with some of the devs, and I know that Darkwyrm, Bryan Varner (Java port), Ryan Leavengood (Webkit port) and possibly BGA are all willing to attend. I think this makes for a very good start for a substantial WC08 program, as well as a strong Haiku representation at OLF. Which is the whole idea. :)

I personally think OLF/WC08 could provide those of us in the Americas with a great opportunity to re-group and re-energize the community on this part of the world, so I would like to see this happening. But I would like to hear what the community thinks before putting the effort into it.

The reason I take this approach is that I would like to see WC become more of a community effort rather than a one or two man thing like it has been in the past (for practical reasons, mainly).

So, with the above general information in mind, and being the dates Oct. 10 - 12 (about 110 days from now) and the place Columbus, OH, do you think this would be a good place and time to hold WC08 and would you be willing/able to attend?

All constructive suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Koki