[openbeos] Re: Version of USB

  • From: "Mikael J." <tic_khr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:51:31 +0100

>I don't think USB 2.0 is that important yet. Microsoft doesn't support
>it, so the more advanced 1394 bus is more interesting to me. At least
>their powermanagment is better, and they have a fullduplex 400 MBps
bus,
>allowing a few DV videostreams being streamed to harddrives on the same
>bus.

Plus, that kind of stuff can be started right now.
http://linux-1394.sourceforge.net

*cough* SBP-2 support.

A pet peeve of mine - I have a laptop. Hard drives for laptops are
expensive and slow. Now, if there was a firewire stack for BeOS w/ SBP-2
support, I could actually -boot- from the Firewire disk (with the boot
loader on the internal disc). It'd be pretty sweet, now that 1934
controller cards and disks are becoming cheaper and cheaper (well, a
CardBus 1394 card is still ~USD$100 here in Sweden, but still...)

(No, don't look at me, I've got enough to do with my other BeOS apps)
--
Mikael J @ http://hem.spray.se/tic_khr