[haiku] Re: Update Haiku from Haiku

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:19:07 -0500

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I did not say all drivers, but "such" drivers. The example was the
> hard disk driver, that will always result in a system crash when
> unloaded.

In theory, a driver does not get reloaded unless its ref count is 0.
In practice, there may be some bugs in that. If nothing else the node
monitoring would theoretically at least ask the driver to try and
republish if it senses it getting updated though, which might have
some problems in some circumstances but (theoretically) shouldn't.

> Is there anything else that is impossible to reload? How about the video
> driver?

Currently we can't swap video drivers on the fly because of the above
mentioned ref count issue, as the app_server has an open descriptor
for the graphics device at all times. This would be a desirable
capability in the future though, for obvious reasons, but it would
take some time and work to do it, which as you well know we're
invariably limited on.

Regards,

Rene