[haiku] Re: Update Haiku from Haiku

  • From: Gregor Rosenauer <gregor.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:20:21 +0100

Niels,

Maybe I made myself not very clear - I am well aware of the details
and from my experiences with various Linux distros I can assure you
that a full system upgrade including drivers et al is certainly
possible and feasible to do, one of the reasons I always get sick of
Windows and enjoying a full up-to-date Sidux install.
I don't mind if I have to reboot after such an update...

In single user mode, anything but the bare system is being shut down
already, so you don't have to care about fancy stuff like disk
monitoring daemons etc., as they are not running anymore in this run
level.

Single user mode is practically init running with a console driver and
a block device driver, that's it (practically speaking) - I admit I'm
not a linux kernel guru, but that's it from a user's point of view.

Esp. in this early stage of Haiku it would be great to have an easy
way (for devs) to be running an always up-to-date, bleeding-edge Haiku
with all the latest fixes and goodies, in a rolling-update fashion...
It's so 90s to have to do this manually,-)

I would be happy with a pre-boot kernel-level update-script that
downloads the current Haiku image from the net in PXE fashion, expands
it and boots from the new install... what do the system devs think?

brg,
Gregor