[openbeos] Re: USB and PPC port.... I'm here to help... when I can...

  • From: Mark-Jan Bastian <markjan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:44:01 +0100

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:13:12AM -0500, Bryan Varner wrote:
> There's one thing I'm willing to help on. USB drivers for the NewOS kernel.
> Has anyone started? Has anyone looked in depth at this? Is there anyone out
> there who could point me to the appropriate reading material until I can
> finish out the other code projects I'm working on?

> Another thing. Some months ago, Nathan Whitehorn and I were attempting to
> boot
> BeOS R5 on PPC machines through OpenFirmware. Unless Nathan has worked some
> miracles since the last time we talked on BeShare, it just isn't going to
> work
> with the knowledge we have of the BeOS Launcher for MacOS.

There is also a newos mailinglist and irc channel, where stuff like
this can be discussed in great technical detail. Since the NewOS kernel
is going to be used for OpenBeOS, it's the place to be I think.

> In three or four weeks, do you see the need for a somewhat expirenced (what I
> lack in expirence I make up for in enthusiasim and caffeine!!) programmer to
> help out?

> I am a full-time student, have no job, and have _tons_ of free time when I'm
> not working on a 'contract' project. I dearly miss my BeOS (dang OHCI) and
> would really like to help out on OBOS while it's still on the 'ground floor'.

You're more than welcome! I'd like to get USB working under NewOS / OBOS,
since there are also a few USB drivers that I want to port to NewOS later
on.

Mark-Jan