[openbeos] Re: Such a simple question

  • From: "Commander Sozo" <CommdrSozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:17:44 -0600 CST

For some reason, bootman simply can't load XP.  I haven't tried a
different bootloader (you may want to try XOSL on BeBits, for example),
which may help.  What I had to do to solve my problem is make a FAT32
partition, do a minimum install of win98 (which will install the
micro$oft bootloader on the 98 partition), and setup bootman again.
Now bootman asks me if I want BeOS, Zeta, or window$, and if I choose
window$ then I'm presented with another choice of 98 or XP.  Once I was
sure the bootloader worked, I deleted just about everything on the
win98 partition and went back to using it for storage (there are a few
files that need to be in certain places or the bootloader will freak
out, but I think I only have 45MB or so of win98 files).  It's very
much a hack, but it works (if you have a large drive).

-Ben

---------------------------------------
Commander Sozo
CommdrSozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I've had trouble with XP and BeOS on the same computer.  The be boot
> loader is unable to boot XP.  For a long time I kept a boot floppy in
my floppy drive.  If I wanted to boot BeOS, I pushed it in.  If I
wanted to boot XP I ejected it.  Because of how unreliable floppies
are, I eventually converted my boot floppy into a boot cd.  Now, I have
two PCs that are networked together.  One runs Be, the other runs
windows.  So I don't currently have much need for boot disks.  In any
case, I recently skimmed over an article about how to configure the XP
boot loader to boot into BeOS.  He even provided a example configure
file for the XP boot loader.  Using it should make dual booting nice
and easy.

> Later,
> Scott MacMaster

before you think of typing an anwser DON'T spare us all we love all
CPU's because they run our OSes for us.

>   Which brings me onto BeOS5 Personal edition, has anyone else had
> trouble with running it on an XP system? I've given it, its own FAT32
partition and it loads the bootloader from floppy, does some thinking
then resets the system.