[openbeos] Re: Scripting (Shells)

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <kirilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 13:42:03 CEST (+0200)

Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A GUI is only a tool, it is not _the_ solution. I use a
> Command Line all the time. And there are many times
> I have telneted into other machines.

I don't think anyone here questioned the merits of the CLI.
The CLI is a wonderful way to accomplish many tasks.

I tried to make the point that BeOS was designed,
like AmigaOS, MacOS, Windows, etc,
to be a GUI environment -with- an optional command-line.
(as opposed to a CLI environment with an optional GUI)

BeOS wasn't meant to be run without the GUI,
and any such state must be seen as an exception.
(like during bootup, if the app_server has crashed, or whatever)

If you hack BeOS to not use the app_server,
why would you be using 'alert' ?
(none of your other BApplications will run under such condititions)

> So, no one knows how to determine if there is a GUI available.

ps | grep app_server

That doesn't tell if the app_server is alive or not, so I suppose one
would have to create a BApplication and try to use some feature
that depends on the app_server.  (the app_server is more than just
a gui, btw)

I leave the implementation as an exercise to the reader.. ;)

> Should we add this to the interface kit?

A CLI-savvy version of 'alert' wouldn't hurt anyone,
but adding this to the Interface Kit wouldn't work.

Without the app_server, you're application would probably
hang or crash at the creation of the BApplication,
(which needs the app_server, afaik)
long before it could create & show a BAlert.

/Jonas Sundström.                                      www.kirilla.com