[openbeos] Re: Scripting (Shells)

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:22:10 +0200 (MEST)

$TTY
or the tty command tells you if you are run from a _terminal_ session
(either telnet, Terminal, ... in contrast with launched from Tracker)
so if what you echo will go somewhere or not.
On other OSes telnet/rlogin use to set the REMOTE_HOST env, seems the BeOS
one doesn't.

En réponse à Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Being a compulsive scripter I have to ask this:
>
> Is there an applet that determines if the GUI is available or can I just
> check
> $DISPLAY ??? If there is no Applet does anyone know roughly where in the
> API a
> system call for this might be? Sometimes you need to check your not in a
> telnet
> session.
>
> On the same topic. Discalmer: there is no one right shell or scripting
> language. But it would be nice to have csh for those familiar with it,
> and SSH.
Geee, I have tcsh by default on solaris... never remember how to do anything
complex with it, so I have to launch bash :-(
we have ssh (=client) already, just need sshd