[openbeos] Re: Scripting (Shells)

  • From: Erik Jaesler <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:53:57 -0700

PLEASE! No shell wars! Everybody's favorite is a POS to *somebody* else, so let's not even go there.

Timothy Covell wrote:

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 03:23, Mat Hounsell wrote:

Being a compulsive scripter I have to ask this:

Is there an applet that determines if the GUI is available or can I just
check $DISPLAY ??? If there is no Applet does anyone know roughly where in
the API a system call for this might be? Sometimes you need to check your
not in a telnet session.

On the same topic. Discalmer: there is no one right shell or scripting
language. But it would be nice to have csh for those familiar with it, and
SSH.

(t)csh must DIE!

o It is not compatible with Bourne nor Korn Shells

o Bash is better

o Zsh is better and can emulate csh features

o Only the old-fashioned and almost reactionary folks at xBSD want to keep it.

o Csh is the major brain-fart of Bill Joy and that Berkeley
gang.  Read Tim Christianson's (of Perl Fame) rant on Csh.

<aside>The other major brain fart is sendmail. It scares me to know that so such of BSD was written in such unreadable code and with such user unfriendly interfaces. "vi" is an exception because its cryptic nature was a nescessity due to keyboard issues. And vi is actually easy and powerful to use, ONCE one learns it.
</aside>

tim