[openbeos] Ports

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:24:52 +0100

Is anyone considering or looking into an ARM port of haiku?

If so, you might find these interesting:

http://www.openpandora.org/
http://beagleboard.org/
Nvidia's tegra might also turn up in some small devices.

The pandora box in particular looks like quite a neat platform where the efficiency of Haiku could be useful, beagleboard is a dev board - but it's powerful and more importantly - cheap.

Why?

With all the interest in things like the OLPC and EEE PC and such like I find it really bizarre they go and install XP. It may work but probably not very well and on even smaller devices UI is likely to be an issue as a desktop doesn't translate well.

Linux is likely to be the most popular OS for these devices but it'll not be one distro in particular, I don't think we need to go into efficiency or UI issues in Linux. MS & Intel will get in there as well but a lot of companies don't want a repeat of the PC where only 2 companies ended up making all the money, expect multiple OSs and multiple CPU vendors, ARM will be big in this sector because many of the vendors' chips are ARM based.

This is a new, wide open market, very unlike the desktop which is pretty much sewn up by MS or Apple.
An area where a new OS could get traction...

On a similar note, how easy / difficult / impossible is it to change Haiku's UI? Also, how flexible it is in terms of devices that may have a keyboard or touch screen but no mouse?

--

Nicholas Blachford
www.blachford.info