[openbeos] Re: Pe in SVN ?

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:10:41 -0500

On Feb 13, 2008 11:31 AM, Andrew McCall <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pah, XEmacs! vi is lightweight and fits with Haiku's goals.

Hehehe, I know everyone is joking around but the command-line vi (vim
actually, AFAIK) is already in the Haiku SVN and the image. In fact it
might be good to update it with some of the latest vim goodness (yes
I'm a vim user.)

In regards to Pe, I think it is a nice BeOS editor and I would hate to
see it die out. In regards to where the code should reside, I think
the project needs to make some decisions in that area. Basically we
have to figure out how we want to handle applications which aren't
necessarily a "core" part of the OS, yet they will probably be
distributed with it 99% of the time. Examples might be Pe here, or my
WebKit port and the associated browser. Sometimes the code is so large
(WebKit) that including it within our repo is not an option (the repo
is already quite huge.) I don't know how big Pe is, but maybe it too
should be hosted somewhere else. OSDrawer might be a good option for
Pe in fact.

I think as long as we make it fairly easy to integrate 3rdparty code
into the build (such as by having the correct Jamfiles, like my WebKit
port) it doesn't matter as much where the code is hosted. I think we
could build a system to make all this easier too, for example by
running one script which downloads all the needed source files from
wherever they are hosted.

Regards,
Ryan