[openbeos] Re: Pe in SVN ?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:11:18 +0100 CET

> On Feb 13, 2008 11:31 AM, Andrew McCall <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Pah, XEmacs! vi is lightweight and fits with Haiku's goals.
>
> Hehehe, I know everyone is joking around but the command-line vi (vim
> actually, AFAIK) is already in the Haiku SVN and the image. In fact
> it
> might be good to update it with some of the latest vim goodness (yes
> I'm a vim user.)

There is even a BeOS port of gvim we could put in.

> In regards to Pe, I think it is a nice BeOS editor and I would hate
> see it die out. In regards to where the code should reside, I think
> the project needs to make some decisions in that area. Basically we
> have to figure out how we want to handle applications which aren't
> necessarily a "core" part of the OS, yet they will probably be
> distributed with it 99% of the time. Examples might be Pe here, or my
> WebKit port and the associated browser. Sometimes the code is so
> large
> (WebKit) that including it within our repo is not an option (the repo
> is already quite huge.) I don't know how big Pe is, but maybe it too
> should be hosted somewhere else. OSDrawer might be a good option for
> Pe in fact.

Well for Pe IIRC we decided to use it as BeIDE replacement, so it would
be part of the base distro.
As for 3rdparty, the hook is there already (see configure --enable-
3rdparty),
But of course the top level Jamfile must be changed to add the
subfolders...
Maybe Ingo can come up with a trick to automatically add them (with
makefiles I sometimes used globbing on */*akefile...).

> I think as long as we make it fairly easy to integrate 3rdparty code
> into the build (such as by having the correct Jamfiles, like my
> WebKit
> port) it doesn't matter as much where the code is hosted. I think we
> could build a system to make all this easier too, for example by
> running one script which downloads all the needed source files from
> wherever they are hosted.

As long as they are on an SVN server as well it's quite easy to graft
them onto a single tree with externals:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html

Someone wanting to make his own distro could set things up like
3rdparty/webkit (webkit /webkit)
3rdparty/pe (berlios /pe/trunk)
src -> (haiku /trunk/src, rNNNNN)
headers -> (haiku /trunk/headers, rNNNNNN)
... -> (haiku /trunk/...)

(using a specific rev makes sure it's buildable)
and have some scripts at the root to call the various configure and
jamfiles...

François.