[openbeos] Re: OBOS Security

  • From: Tom Young <ores@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 21:05:52 +1200

I think the point is that OBOS is designed to be a desktop OS and
hence the ability to have multiple users logged on at once is not a
big priority. Trying to keep focused on the goal is important,
expecially at this stage before even R1 is achieved.

I'm sure if someone went and wrote a good true multiuser
implementation that was stable, fast and secure then it would be
adapted into the OS, and if not there is always dear i say it, forks
and patches.

But actually encouraging this feature at this stage, or any stage in
the immediate future is going to be counter productive to the other
areas.

Many universities and schools survived using win9x as a multiuserOS,
it was far from perfect, but was widely used. I would highly suspect
that if/when BeOS gets its pseudo Mutli-user abilities it would be a
lot better than win9x.

Good integration with somthing actually designed to be a server such
as a BSD or linux could achieve a high level of security as a
workstation/desktop solution.

I think its best not encourage OBOS to slip into the one size fits all
aproach linux has and instead adopt the right tool for the right job.

Its also worth remembering at the end of the day, no system is 100%
secure. It comes down to how much of an emphisis on security we
believe is required for a Desktop OS.

Tom Young