[openbeos] Re: OBOS Security

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 00:17:36 -0400 (EDT)

> This is the problem with saying "multi-user".
> There are so many people's different ideas of what that means. :-)

I see two.

1. people login at different time, one at a time, IMHO, crappy -
pseudo-multiuser

2. many people can login at the same time - true multi-user, good

> I certainly support (for R2 or later) being able to set a box up so that
> people can log in and have their own files, home directory, etc. And having
> that be relatively secure (i.e. not trusted, audited code, but pretty secure).

That's in r5 all ready.
Beos looks like it was being prepared to be multi-user before they died. I
can create files w/ different owners and groups. Looks to me amazingly
like unix. I like.

> The goal here is to keep little Johnny from seeing Dad's etoys.com cache and
> seeing what
> he is getting for Christmas, not to keep hackers out of a web site.

Well, it's not supposed to be a server, but there are all ready a port of
apache. I'm sure that's going to be seen as a Bad ThingTM as the vibe from
this list is that options are bad as they confuse people, and the dumbest
person is king.

> What you outline above is about the most complex scheme that I would
> think that OBOS should support.

If I really want multi-user support then I'll put it in there. I'm not
going to whine about wanting it in there.

Fred