[openbeos] Now let's think clear..

  • From: Peter Mogensen <apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:29:31 -0400 (EDT)

The announcement is only 2 days old and there's already a sourceforge
project to recreate BeOS. Now, while there's absolutely nothing wrong with
enthusiasm it seems to me like the BeOS community is so enthusiastic that they
are about to run of in 117 different directions... a few of them represented
here :)

We actually don't know is BeOS is dead yet
(http://www.befaqs.com/news/readstory.php?story=56). As I see it there are two

*) Either Palm does better with regard to BeOS than Be did the last 6 months.
That is, release BONE/OpenGL and continue development.
... in that case there might be a need for an OpenBeOS project, but it's goals
will be very much determined by the direction of the real BeOS. Maybe it
wouldn't be worth the trouble.

*) Or... Palm does anything worse than Be with regards to moving BeOS
forward... Then I think a new open source OS project is needed.

I think the first goal of an OpenBeOS project (of any part of the BeOS
community actually) would be to get an official statement from Palm... maybe
even urging them to opensource BeOS (then we'll have our OpenBeOS project :) ).
After that... (if Palm's a dead end) .. then full steam ahead and (re)create
the perfect OS :)

I've got a few more comments on the design goals of OpenBeOS, but I think I'll
wait a bit until the situaton stabilizes.

Peter