[openbeos] Re: Wow! Great beginning!

  • From: "Anthony Quinn" <aquinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:04:30 GMT

Here it goes - (Same intro I used on BeGroovy) :)

Name : Anthony Quinn
Occupation : Sr. Software Engineer / Consultant
Years Experience : If you count from the time I started (VIC 20 boot
rom basic) 14 years.  Professionally for 7 years.
Languages :  Basic, Pascal, C, C++, Assembler, Java (And I have used
all in various projects through out my career)
Interests : Assembly programming I do not like AT&T style either.  I
prefer NASM (It is similar to Turbo Assembler) :) And not to mention
allot easier to read for the x86 platform.  Also I would not mind
working on the OS services side of the house.  I have written several
"server" type applications for Windows, X11.  Network coding is also
something I like doing so net_server, or app_server, or media_server
would be all right with me.

I prefer to receive direction than give it.  From that I mean if there
is high level design, requirements hand them off and I can hit the
ground running.  I have worked in various team environments before with
projects ranging from 3 months to 2 years.

I also have been doing extensive internet focused development since
1995...I have followed the internet boom and also the different
technologies for writing server side applications.  I prefer writing
the guts of things versus developing a user interface.  Was never that
good at it.  I tend to spend more time on trying to making things be
precise than effectively producing a UI on time. :)

So in a nutshell :

Utilities, libraries, servers and an occasional device module would be
my cup of tea.

-Anthony

>There are more than 25 of us! That is 1/2 as many as was working at
Be!

>I don't want to lose a second of momentum, though.
>
>Would everyone mind mailing to me personally
(mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) or to the list if you would prefer, your
area of interest, what you want to do (develop, test, document, lead)
and (very briefly) what your qualifications are?

>I will start and do so publically, just to show you who I am and what
I would like to know:

>My name is Michael Phipps, email is mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I want
to lead and develop for the kernel. I have a degree in CS (Rochester
Institute of Technology, if anyone cares). I work every day as a
developer in a performance driven C++ environment. I did a
concentration (4 courses) in low level CS (compilers and OS) and worked
with others to develop an operating system on an SGI Indigo, as
coursework. I have been a member of the BeOS community since DR8.

>OK - I wasn't so brief. But I am applying for the biggest job, so I
guess I have to explain myself more. :-)

>Thanks to everyone for joining. Don't be shy! Many of us are
opinionated. Myself maybe the most. :-) But your ideas are just as
important as any one elses. Think of this as a risk free opportunity to
practice being more assertive. :-)