[openbeos] Re: Now let's think clear..

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 19:24:46 -0400

>The announcement is only 2 days old and there's already a sourceforge
>project to recreate BeOS. Now, while there's absolutely nothing wrong with
>enthusiasm it seems to me like the BeOS community is so enthusiastic that they
>are about to run of in 117 different directions... a few of them represented
>here :)

Actually, I was hoping to focus some of those different splinters into one
group, so that we might actually get somewhere.

>We actually don't know is BeOS is dead yet
>(http://www.befaqs.com/news/readstory.php?story=56). As I see it there are two

While I salute the optimism shown there, I have real doubts about Palm's
interest in the desktop market.
On the other hand, I would be thrilled and excited if I/we could work with them
to open source BeOS.

>*) Either Palm does better with regard to BeOS than Be did the last 6 months.
>That is, release BONE/OpenGL and continue development.
>.... in that case there might be a need for an OpenBeOS project, but it's
>goals will be very much determined by the direction of the real BeOS. Maybe it
>wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I would love to see that. But I really don't believe it.

>*) Or... Palm does anything worse than Be with regards to moving BeOS
>forward... Then I think a new open source OS project is needed.

In the mean time, we are conducting a "thought experiment". Planning, deaming
and thinking.

>I think the first goal of an OpenBeOS project (of any part of the BeOS
>community actually) would be to get an official statement from Palm... maybe
>even urging them to opensource BeOS (then we'll have our OpenBeOS project :) ).
>After that... (if Palm's a dead end) .. then full steam ahead and (re)create
>the perfect OS :)

I want to strike while the iron is hot and people are interested. Before they
wipe their BeOS partitions and load Mandrake or something. ;-)

>I've got a few more comments on the design goals of OpenBeOS, but I think I'll
>wait a bit until the situaton stabilizes.

Let me know! Either privately (mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) or on here. If the
internet isn't good for anything else, it is good for debating ideas. :-)