[haiku] Re: Notebook suggestions

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 16:46:37 -0800

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 05:59:15PM +0000, Humdinger wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> since my old notebook seems to finally have booked that long planned
> vacation on the farm...
> Does anyone have suggestions for a Haiku supported high quality modern
> notebook?
>
> I'd like to have a 15" non-glaring panel with min. 1680x1050 resolution.
> It should be cool and quiet with oomph when needed.

Well, I have a 'ZaReason 7330' that I'm very happy with.  These guys
specialize in Linux laptops, which means they avoid hardware that's
likely to screw Open Source stuff.  I have it dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04/Haiku.
(Not that I like the Ubuntu particularly -- may change at some point.)
Has an i2370M 4-processor CPU, 4GB memory, Centrino WiFi, and 15" screen
(glossy I guess -- don't know what 'non-glare' looks like...).

They have a big advantage for me in that they're just across town in
Berkeley (California), so I was able to drop in and check the system
out before I bought it.  Don't know how they are for international sales.

Looking at their website, I see that they've upgraded to the 7440
( http://zareason.com/shop/Strata-7440.html ), but at a glance I can't
see much difference from the older model, except a newer CPU and
maybe one less USB port (? :-().  They also seem to have some new
boxes that I may want to look into (like a hackable tablet!)

        -- Pete --