[openbeos] Re: New Monitor 1280x1024

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:34:25 +0200

On 7/11/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does it also reboot if you just enter the boot menu without changing
the resolution?

If I don't change the resolution, the monitor itself *suggests* me to
increase the resolution
to 1280x1024, and show nothing else.

I guess it worked before?

Nope. Haiku with this new monitor just doesn't boot.

Have you ever tried to change the resolution in the boot menu before?

No. Never had the needs to do it.

Have you tried creating a "vesa" mode file in home/config/settings/
kernel/drivers/ with your resolution?

I don't know how to do that.

BTW Haiku uses your graphics card's/monitor's EDID information to
retrieve the resolution of the boot screen. If it doesn't switch to the
native resolution automatically, it means that some part of your
hardware does not support this (at least not via the BIOS).

Nice.

Does anyone have an idea of why is this before I open a ticket?

It sounds a lot like http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/690 if you manage
to show it's independent from changing the resolution. Unfortunately, I
never managed to reproduce or fix it.

Weird thing (or maybe not). I booted with the old monitor with no problem.
Then, without rebooting, I switched to the new monitor and it worked.
Of course, I can't do that every time I want to use the new monitor :-)
Hope this helps.

Salvo

Ps. Neither my slackware/linux will boot with this new monitor, because the
monitor
resolution was set to a lower one. Other OS though works fine (BeOS MAX,
Ubuntu).

--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer and Telecommunications Engineering