[openbeos] Networking Object Library

  • From: "John Gabriele" <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:27:25 EST

I'm just learning my way around the BeOS/OBOS networking
(and networking in general), so please, be gentle. :)

1.
How would you say the BeOS Network Kit compares to/with
the ACE (ADAPTIVE Communication Environment)?
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html
http://www.riverace.com/

2.
In NetworkKit.h, there's a comment:

/*
 * Nettle forward declarations
 *
 * The Nettle networking object library is compiled into the netapi kit
 * and used by these kit classes. [snip]
 */

Is it a better question to ask, how does Nettle compare to/with
ACE?

3.
The way I understand it, the BeOS currently has 2 networking API's
built into it: the Network Kit Class Library and the Posix Sockets
library calls. How could ACE fit into this? Who might get implemented
in terms of whom?

hmm.... I wonder: Could the Network Kit methods be currently
implemented in terms of the Sockets calls?