[openbeos] Re: our own language -- sure

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:58:02 -0500

> squirrel was ok, but its not really a beginners RAD/IDE,
> its was ok for knocking up GUIs for shell script type
> stuff, but took a lot of work to produce anything
> resembling an app.

I was surprised Squirrel wasn't mentioned earlier.  However, I agree
that it is not a RAD/IDE tool for easy application development, like
other [unmentionable] tools on the MS platform.

> what I was imagining and suggesting was an environment
> to produce apps quickly, many people including myself
> could move faster if we didn't have to learn the BeOS
> specific stuff, just leaving the program flow to written.
>
> Someone mentioned Phab on QNX, something similar would
> be a good start for both the seasoned among you and
> beginners like myself.

Ewh.  I used Phab, and I must admit it was some time ago, and in beta
status then, but it really was not all that nice, IMHO.  Plus coding in
QNX is in C, and not even C++, which I think this was what people were
saying they wanted to make easier.

Recently, however, I received an email from Kelly Schrock about
VisualBe++:
--
I'm not actively developing/enhancing Visual Be++ at present, but as
soon as there is a BeOS-type platform to work on again, I'm planning on

Sounds like he only needs a few gentle nudges to continue work on
that.  ;)  But it's also C++.  Wasn't there someone working on an
object Pascal (a la Delphi) RAD tool for BeOS recently?

Deej