[openbeos] Re: Networking Object Library

  • From: "Jonathan Tarbox" <jtarbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:23:12 -0600

As I never heard of ACE and don't have the time atm to read the link, I
can't answer those questions, but I can lay some info down on the Network
Kit.

1. All in all, it is a OOP interface to networking.  In fact, it's almost a
front end for the POSIX socket interface, though without having to ever deal
with sockets directly.

2. It's buggy, that was one of the reasons BONE was being implemented by Be.
The network kit api didn't always behave as one would expect and the POSIX
sockets were limited by the implementation (no raw sockets, and only TCP and
UDP packet types.)

3. The network kit api, if it wasn't so buggy, would in truth be an awesome
interface.  BEndPoint, BNetBuffer, etc.. all really well done.  Howard and
the gang in the networking department at Be were awesome, and their work
into BONE was 10x as good.

I've worked with the network kit and the posix sockets.. I perfer the ease
of use of the network kit, but was forced to use the posix sockets due to
the problems.

-jtarbox