[haiku] Re: MSI Wind U100 or Dell Mini 10v?

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:57:43 +0200

Joseph Prostko wrote:
I own a U100 as well.  I upgraded the hard drive to a 320 GB drive
(yanked out of a WD My Passport drive, which I then swapped the Wind's
80 GB drive into),

I only see 160 GB models here, hope that's the only difference.

the RAM to 2 GB,

Did you mail MSI for the warranty? I read you have to before breaking the warranty seals.

and I swapped out the mini PCI-X
wireless card for a Gigabyte WI06N A/B/G/N card. I did that since my
initial goal was to turn the computer into a Hackintosh machine.   The
card works great for that purpose and indeed shows up as a native
Airport wireles card in OS X.

I read that the native card works straight in OSX.

The wireless in Haiku isn't working on
the card yet (even though it is Atheros-based), but it should once the
PCI-X issues in Haiku get resolved.

Wifi is a nice addition, but I don't really need it.

Everything else said above by others is accurate as far as I can tell.
 I did play with the Bluetooth some time ago and the Haiku Bluetooth
stack picks it up and everything.  I didn't really try to do anything
productive with it though, other than to see if it could see my cell
phone (which it could).

Bluetooth is more interesting to me, I use a Bluetooth mouse wiht my MacBook, and it's great to send and receive files from the phone.

Are Bluetooth mice supported in Haiku?

Oh yeah, and by the way, if you do decide you want pseudo-wireless, I
would recommend picking up the Asus WL-330gE USB-powered wireless
bridge/router.  It can be kind of cumbersome to carry around, but if
you have the system sitting on a coffee table or the like most of the
time, it works just fine.

Nice toy, but the system is going to sit on my lap most of the time during my home -> office train rides :-) At home, I always have a cable ready. At office, my company prohibits to connect anything but their computers to the LAN without approval of the network admin, and explicitly bans APs. And anyway I am not going to use it in any of these places.

Thanks,

Gabriele - www.biffuz.it