[haiku] Re: MSI Wind U100 or Dell Mini 10v?

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:22:52 -0400

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing your experiences, I think I'll buy it - it is also easier
> to upgrade the RAM than in the Dell.
> I'm going to use it almost exclusively in train, so wifi and sound are not
> really an issue. At home, I always have an Ethernet cable ready on the desk.
> Card reader is nice, btw.

I own a U100 as well.  I upgraded the hard drive to a 320 GB drive
(yanked out of a WD My Passport drive, which I then swapped the Wind's
80 GB drive into), the RAM to 2 GB, and I swapped out the mini PCI-X
wireless card for a Gigabyte WI06N A/B/G/N card. I did that since my
initial goal was to turn the computer into a Hackintosh machine.   The
card works great for that purpose and indeed shows up as a native
Airport wireles card in OS X.  The wireless in Haiku isn't working on
the card yet (even though it is Atheros-based), but it should once the
PCI-X issues in Haiku get resolved.

Everything else said above by others is accurate as far as I can tell.
 I did play with the Bluetooth some time ago and the Haiku Bluetooth
stack picks it up and everything.  I didn't really try to do anything
productive with it though, other than to see if it could see my cell
phone (which it could).

Oh yeah, and by the way, if you do decide you want pseudo-wireless, I
would recommend picking up the Asus WL-330gE USB-powered wireless
bridge/router.  It can be kind of cumbersome to carry around, but if
you have the system sitting on a coffee table or the like most of the
time, it works just fine.

- joe