[haiku] Re: AW: Hardware Profile

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:57:13 +0200

On 2009-09-23 at 01:12:06 [+0200], Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > VESA under Haiku is optimized, double buffered, and quite fast. Not the
> > VESA you may think of when using other OSes :)
>
> VESA isn't too bad from a performance point of view, but a card's VESA
> bios might not support the native resolution of the LCD monitor you've
> got. Its better to have an older/ simpler card which has a dedicated
> driver that can drive the card in more resolutions than VESA can, and
> thus more likely support your screen's native resolution.
>
> If this box is meant to serve as a blueprint for advice to customers of
> TuneTracker then it might be best to suggest a card that is likely to
> support a wider range of screens in their native resolutions.

100% correct. :-)

When I last looked a couple weeks back, one could still buy nVidia 7300
based boards. These are cheap, have low energy consumption and are fanless.
They work great with the Haiku driver, but overlay video is not supported
on those.

The only other option should be Intel based chipsets with onboard graphics
supported by our Intel driver. But I don't know what's the last supported
version of the chip.

Best regards,
-Stephan