[openbeos] Re: Identifying Text Files

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 12:34:43 +0200 CEST

"François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > While I share Ingo's opinion, I also don't like the Translation Kit
> > very much. It's designed rather poorly IMO and it's badly
> > integrated
> > with the rest as well.
> Well it started as an amiga-like datatypes library...

But the datatypes library is considerably superior to it. And API-wise,
it's also a bit of an alien in BeOS.

> > For images it's nice to have, but it's of little use beyond that
> > right now.
> It's not so useless, rather not used enough...
> There were interesting ones from Gobe, but they used their own
> closed format for output... (anyone has clues about that format
> btw ? want to write translators / OOo import/export plugins)
> It's not totally unflexible, I wrote a scanner one out of Sanity,
> and someone else wrote a OCR translator...
> It's true it's not really suited for media stuff though, that's
> why there is a media kit.

Yes, but that makes your "use translators for indexing" idea rather
pointless, even though it would be a natural fit (if the kit were
designed and integrated better). Right now, I'd prefer an indexing add-
on that makes use of translators for images (and maybe text, too).

> Maybe it's time to design something else, but I really want something
> that can also set the meta-data on those files, as it's really needed
> those days.

Yeah, that would be nice. Also 6 years ago, though :-)
For R2, I would like to rethink the whole translator stuff.

Bye,
   Axel.