[openbeos] Re: Identifying Text Files

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:40:58 +0200 CEST

> On 2006-06-09 at 23:10:01 [+0200], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > More seriously, instead of creating yet another kind of addons...
> > I've been thinking for some time about reusing the translators as a
> > mean to index meta data from file content, by adding a
> > SniffAndIndex()
> > method or so...
> > that would fill in atribs from ID3 for example... (not exactly the
> > best
> > example but well... or get image w & h form the file). I guess we
> > could
> > use that for mime sniffing as well.
>
> While I share Ingo's opinion, I also don't like the Translation Kit
> very much. It's designed rather poorly IMO and it's badly integrated
> with the rest as well.

Well it started as an amiga-like datatypes library...

> For images it's nice to have, but it's of little use beyond that
> right
> now.

It's not so useless, rather not used enough...
There were interesting ones from Gobe, but they used their own
closed format for output... (anyone has clues about that format
btw ? want to write translators / OOo import/export plugins)
It's not totally unflexible, I wrote a scanner one out of Sanity,
and someone else wrote a OCR translator...
It's true it's not really suited for media stuff though, that's
why there is a media kit.

Maybe it's time to design something else, but I really want something
that can also set the meta-data on those files, as it's really needed
those days.

Btw, nothing stops registrar to run child processes to load addons...
It might actually be simpler and cleaner for child to use registrar
than
for registrar to use itself (less deadlocks)

François.