[openbeos] Re: Icon Contest thread

  • From: Shaka <shaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 05:36:26 -0400

can someone send the link to the mockup desktop with the various icons?

On Sep 4, 2006, at 5:27 AM, Zenja Solaja wrote:

Morning / Afternoon / Evening.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate the Haiku community for the entire Icon Contest thing.  The dynamic (virtual desktop) idea and implementation is absolutely brilliant, hats off to all the people involved.

Now to chip in with my opinions.

1.  From all the sets outlined, I must admit that I prefer the icons which have a black outline.  These icons stand out, especially when they are over a colourful background image.  The sets without a black outline dont stand out as much, and the danger with these sets is that they can even blend in with the background.

2. Stippi's icons look amazing at 16x16.  The extra work Stippi spent touching up icons at lower resolutions has really paid off.  I dont know about the habits of other users, but I prefer to view fold ers with a list / detailed view.  I will spend a majority of my time us ing 16x16 icons.  In fact, the only
icons I will view at 32x32 or 64x64 are the desktop icons.  Whichever set wins, extra attention  must be made to the 16x16 look.

3.  Dropline Neu looks impressive at larger resolutions, but is very light  on colours - ie. it's very grey.  The lack of colours is evident when viewing it in 16x16 mode, where a lot of the icons blend into one.  Otherwise, this is a beautiful set, if only it were richer in colour.

4. 575 has the opposite issue, the colours seem very rich, and I think they sh ould be toned down slightly.

5. Alba and Tango are too squarish - in 16x16 mode, all icons look the same.  I think the unique shape of an icon helps recognition.

6. Miglas (in its current form) is actually great for children.  I would definately include this set in a Haiku distro (but not as a primary set).  This icon set has actual class, and I'd love to see this set evolve into an adult style.  I especially like the brushed stroke look.

7. Honey can be a beautiful set if it were a bit brighter.  It's a bit too dull at the moment.

8. Stippi, zuMi and Mc Clintock are my current favourites.

Great work everyone.