[openbeos] Re: Happy X MAs and happy new year 2007

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:29:47 -0500

On 12/25/06, Ralf Schülke <teammaui@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Haiku Peoples,

The year is near over and we go in the next year.
This year make Haiku big steps, users and developer have see what
Haiku can do. Ok it is not finish and any thinks are in development.
So its where nice to see a little "Status and Future" article on Haiku
Homepage.

What cames in 2007:
- NetStack, USB (1.x, 2.x, ...),more Icons, new Blayout, LocalKit ??

Regarding layout, I'm working on an article that will describe Ingo's
new layout management system, which was committed back in August. I
hope to finish that in the next week or so.

Also in my investigation of porting WebKit I have come across the ICU
library from IBM, which would make a great foundation for a LocaleKit.
Of course big additions like that to Haiku are more R2 territory.

- What think any Developers about Haiku and what wish have it?

I think my biggest gripe is some of the annoying BeOS bugs that were
never fixed in BeOS but which have been fixed (or never existed) in
Haiku. To me this just shows the power of open source, even if
development is a bit slower than it might be with a commercial
company. Still even Be, Inc. spent quite a while developing and
evolving the current BeOS we know and love.

- MediaKit is still in development?

Marcus is now working on PXE support, but I intend to take a look at
the Media Kit because I have a definite interest in its quality for an
application I'm working on. I'm sure if needed Marcus will keep
working on it too.

Happy holidays,
Ryan