[openbeos] Re: Happy X MAs and happy new year 2007

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 02:01:54 -0500

I do, especially for something complex. Imagine if someone is using Haiku
and has a i18n bug. She's not going to file a bug with IBM, she files the
bug under Haiku because that is what she knows is using. Now maybe the bug
has to do with ICU or maybe some other part of Haiku that connects to it.
Nobody knows how to fix the bug because it requires an understanding of how
everything fits together as a whole.

When you do something yourself, it's harder than just taking someone's code.
But it really becomes part of you because you had to figure out their
problems and considered all possible choices and that's a higher level of
understanding than just looking at their code and it just passes through
your eyes without making a strong impact on your mind.

On 12/26/06, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't see a reason for us to totally re-invent the wheel all the
time, especially for something complex like i18n.

Regards,
Ryan