[openbeos] Re: Haiku software site

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 03:42:59 -0800

Andrew McCall wrote:
> Didn't we want to have app bundles for R2 (and packages for complex
installs)?

> > We should concentrate to finish R1, and don't add more and more
> > requirements to it.
>
> 100% agreed.

I think getting a set of requirements would be good.

If multiple platforms (x86/PPC/SPARC) end up running Haiku, I could
imagine an installer that comes with encrypted source code and
compiles the application during install.  This could even work to
optimize applications for the specific CPU's upon install.  Sort of
like RPMS, but done right :)

Obviously this would be in optional to the normal pre-compiled binary
installer too.

There are no plans to support anything beyond SoftwareValet for R1, so this discussion about future software packaging for Haiku really belongs to the Glass Elevator mailing list.

Cheers,

Koki