[openbeos] Re: Haiku software site

  • From: "Ivan Vodopiviz" <merkoth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:14:38 -0300

Sorry for double posting, I'm really sleepy this morning -.-

I'm all for this idea! There are tons of unmantained (and unfortunately,
closed) but extremely useful apps at BeBits that we could use. I'd like to
help here.

Cheers,

On 1/16/07, Brian Verre <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Brilliant initial effort-- This is a needed repository.

I have one suggestion that I hope may recieve some consideration:

Let a key focus of your Haiku site become a community effort to
contact/locate the authors of popular/cool BeOS user applications. Many were
released binary only, leaving them to be lost in time, eventually deleted or
deprecated.

This HaikuBytes project could be a coordinated/defined mission of
presenting an MIT/GPL/? license in which the original coders can release
their source distributions so that these works maybe be learned from,
continued, forked, rewritten.

IMO, many BeOS apps are becoming increasingly unavaible for download, and
some packages only reside on users drives these days (along with contact
info). Some apps never made the PPC->x86 jump (mine didn't). Before these
apps slide into total incompatibility/irrelevancy and the authors become
unreachable, let us try to appeal to them to let their work live on.

I for one will be glad to help co-ordinate a project like this in a table
on your site, gathering all known (or just popular/useful/unique?) packages.

Package|Maintainer|License|Source/Binary Link|Orig. Author|Contact
Status |Relicense pending?|Requests|

-------+----------+-------+------------------+------------+---------------+------------------+--------+
name   |mail/link |type   |http/ftp/svn/local|name/unknown|r
eachable/help!|Yes/No/Unknown    |private |
I personally think user-land apps are critical to Haiku/Zeta moving
forward, especially breaking the gcc 2.95 compatibility barrier for the
next gen. Lastly, I think the authors obtained email/contact information
should not be public so as to not have them harassed. Only project members
with decent social/communication skills should be proposing and negotiating
with them so the sake of civility, IMO. Lets not flood these folks and be
respectful of their yes/no decision.

Feedback?
Brian Verre