[openbeos] Re: Haiku and Media Files

  • From: "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:37:46 +1000

Heya,

On 2008-06-24, Jorge G. Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David McPaul wrote:
> > I noticed in the debate about creating a haiku demo set of files that
> > VLC seems to be the preferred player to demonstrate haiku.
> >
> > Certainly having a port of VLC is a good thing.  However, Haiku liek
> > BeOS has a built in Media framework that the MediaPlayer uses and this
> > is what we should look at showing off.
> >
> I can only talk for myself, but when doing demos at conferences, I use the
> Media Player as much as I can; in fact, my demo package always includes
> video files that I know the Media Player can handle.

Good.

> I do show VLC as well, but more in the context of one of the multi-platform
> apps available in Haiku.
>
> > Now, I don't believe the media framework is ready BUT I am concerned
> > that no-one is using it and so bugs are not being discovered and
> > reported.
> >
> > Right now we have most media formats covered (avi, mov, mp4, mkv) but
> > we are missing a number of decoders (h264, aac)
> >
> > So demo that VLC is available under Haiku if you must.
> > But also test MediaPlayer and raise bug reports.
> >
> > Also be prepared to make the file available for our own testing.
>
> To be able to post meaningful bug reports, could you please explain those of
> us who are not that familiar with all the innards of video file formats what
> kind of information you would need and how that information can be obtained?
>
> For example, let's say that I have an AVI file that the Media Player will
> not play; the player will show an error message or perhaps crash, in which
> case one can post the error message or a backtrace from the debugger. Is
> that good enough information, or do you need more specifics beyond "it's an
> AVI file" for you to debug? If you need more info about the file, how can
> this info be obtained?
>
> IOW, it would be nice and helpful to have a "How to report Media Player
> bugs" that we users could follow.

Generally I would be interested in obtaining the file that causes
problems.  I have some tools that display the internal structure of
mp4 and mov files that I use to try and work out what our parsers are
having problems with.

I think there are 3 types of expected problems

1.  Files that crash the MediaPlayer are of particular concern.  The
backtrace is a good start but I find it difficult to use at times.
But these are my biggest concern, we want to be as crash proof as
possible.

2.  When a media file plays but the output is incorrect (scrambled
video, bad audio) then a report about what problem is seen and what
decoder is being used (Info Box) can help us track where the issues
are.

3.  When a media file plays but is missing a track or something
(either video or audio) then chances are the decoder is missing.  I
put code in the Info box to show what decoder is needed but it stopped
working recently.  Hopefully I can get that working again.

So crashes should be bug reported with bt and where the file is
located for download.
Scrambled output should be bug reported with the file location
Missing decoders should be bug reported.

Primarily with media files the best test case is one with the location
of the file so it can be downloaded and pulled apart.

--
Cheers
David